02 November 2008

The Tottenham Insider

Where to begin? About 10 days ago I made a post stating that I had put Tottenham on notice and until they got their act together, I was boycotting (in the most supportive way possible) watching them play. Apparently, the Tottenham chairman reads my blog. The very next day he gathered the manager, coach, and director of football together and fired them all. The worst start to a league season ever (126 years and winless) and being last in the league had something to do with it. However, you can’t deny the sequence of events and so I’m going to maintain my blog was the final straw that caused these major changes at the club.

Tottenham announced that same day that they had successfully lured Harry Redknapp away from Portsmouth and that he was our new manager. For those who don’t know, Portsmouth is in the same league as Tottenham. Fast-forward 3 games. Since Redknapp has arrived, we’ve gotten 7 out of 9 possible points (2 wins and a draw). The difference in results is as noticeable as the difference in play on the field…but I guess those usually go hand in hand.

We tied our arch-enemy Arsenal 4-4 by scoring 2 goals in the last 3 minutes. Then, we took on league leaders and undefeated Liverpool, and thanks to an own goal, 2 posts, and another goal in the last minute we won 2-1. Although we have been very fortunate (ok, lucky) since Harry arrived, I’ll take it. We’re now out of the basement and amazingly enough, only 6 points out of a UEFA Cup spot!

I do have to offer a formal apology to Matt though, because he and I were watching the Tottenham Liverpool game together. When Spurs scored the late winner I went silly. Somehow I went from one couch to the floor to the other couch, past Matt, up over the couch, hit my head on the ceiling, over the coffee table, and on to the floor, all while yelling. It all happened so fast, I don’t know what came over me. I think it was probably just months and months of pent up frustration finally getting out.