13 June 2009

Rampart Reservoir

Our Sunday School class had reservations at the Pike Community Campground this weekend, so we met up with everyone there yesterday. The original plan was to camp with everyone else. We realized we could be there for the majority of the time and still sleep in our own beds if we just drove up in the morning...so, that's what we did.

I had to fight off two other dogs from the same owner that went after Quincey when we first showed up. Of course, it was the little dog that was the problem. I put Quincey on leash when we first arrived when I saw the other two dogs. When walked into their territory the little dog charged but they only got air and a tuft of fur before I picked Quincey up. I'm sure he was having "terrier flashbacks". After a time out and some dog whisperer techniques, everyone became best friends but had to remain on a leash the rest of the time there.

We hung out, ate food, talked, and played horseshoes. Julia enjoyed the time but didn't take a nap. By the time the game of horseshoes started she was fading, and I had to make throws with my right hand while holding Julia in my left arm. I actually made a ringer that ignited our victorious comeback after Julia had left, but that's about all I can take credit for. My partner got most of our team's points.

The other half of the day was spent riding the trail around Rampart Reservoir. I can't believe I had never been there before. That's pretty sad considering I grew up here. The loop was 15 miles long and followed the contours of the lake. It was a fun ride, especially because it was so beautiful. I took a picture with the non-zoom, damaged lens on my phone. It never does it justice, but I think you get the idea. Yes, that's Pikes Peak in the background. We'll be going up there again to picnic and/or hang out again this summer. I bet the fall colors will be nice too.