We got to the arena early so I could browse the souvenirs, see the 4 month “new” stadium, and so that I could see the team as much as possible (warm ups, etc). Since Spurs only recently settled on a new sponsor the kits weren’t available for purchase yet. I did get my first glimpse of the retro style on the field and I like the home kit. We walked around the arena for a little bit and got some good pictures. I was very impressed with the facility. It’s a soccer specific stadium and it’s entirely enclosed, giving the same feel as you would get across the Atlantic in Europe. It seats about 25,000 people which is about the right balance for an MLS club in terms of seats, atmosphere, etc.
Our seats were 7 rows from the field, halfway between midfield and the goal on one side. Considering that the center of the pitch was taken by the player bench and seats for the media, these were some of the best seats available. We were just off to the side of where the players enter the pitch and more importantly, on the Spurs’ side. All of the Tottenham warm ups happened right in front of us. Also, all 3 of the goals were scored on our end so it was definitely the place to sit.
Since the World Cup finished a few weeks ago Spurs didn’t travel with any of the players that had been in South Africa. They had been given some time off. That was a little bit of a bummer – not getting to see everyone in person. Bale, Modric, Corluka, Krancjar, Huddlestone, and Keane were probably the best players there. Pav sat the bench and probably will be sold in the coming months. I caught a glimpse or two of Harry as well. Amusingly enough, I saw him being interviewed in the Newark airport on Sky Sports a few days after the tournament ended. It was a familiar scene. The point is, we had about a half squad of starters and the rest were second string and youngsters.
One of the other stories from this game was that it was Thierry Henry’s USA debut. Henry is a legend in the game and has won everything from the Champion’s League, European Championship, World Cup, La Liga, English Premier League, European Golden Boot (2), FIFA World Player of the Year runner up (2), Football Writer’s Player of the Year (3), etc. The list is endless. Compared to the celebrity mug that is David Beckham, Henry is the real deal. He really is a football legend. Not only that, but most of his success came while playing for Spurs’ rival Arsenal from 1999-2007. Although he is respected by Spurs fans, he is also loathed because of what he did against us (and everyone else for that matter) while at Arsenal. He started and played the first half. When he entered the stadium, was introduced, and touched the ball during the game, he was cheered by the New York fans and booed by the Spurs fans. Of course, everyone knew he was going to score his first goal against his old rivals. I think he was the best player on the field in the first half. During that time he was primarily marked by young Kyle Naughton…only 21 years old. I found it pretty amusing when I saw the two of them side by side.
The game was rather dull to be honest. However, I didn’t expect much since it’s a preseason game with half the squad. Tottenham won 2-1 but scored on two errors by New York. The first goal the keeper missed the cross and Keane tapped it in at the back post. The second goal by Bale was a result of a headed back pass that didn’t quite make it back to the keeper. I think my new favorite player for Spurs is Bale. I didn’t realize how big he is in person. I think he’s actually built (proportionally) A LOT like I am except much bigger. About 4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, to be exact. No wonder he can run all day and is really fast.
It was a good experience to see all the guys I watch on television each week. Now I can finally say I’ve seen them play in person. All this probably did was whet my appetite to see a real game though…that is, a Permier League game at White Heart Lane in London!