It's been two years since we landscaped the backyard. Over that time it became clear that the sprinkler arrangement wasn't perfect, leaving certain areas of the lawn too dry to grow grass. The large area was behind the garage and a smaller area, right off the patio. Behind the garage the grass wouldn't grow because it was too hot against the cement foundation and the sprinklers below couldn't reach that high. The small area by the patio just wasn't getting water because of the way the sprinkler heads were arranged.
My hope was that I could solve both problems in one shot. I moved the grass area away from the back of the garage. This should fix that problem area. I also swapped out the 180 degree heads for fully adjustable ones. By moving the head closest to you in the pictures forward and adjusting the spray to shoot back just barely past the gutter drain, I'm now dumping some serious water on the other problem spot. In fact, it looks like that area might now be one of the wettest in the backyard. That's a good thing since it's also a high traffic area.
I'm pretty happy that I didn't need to add another sprinkler head, just move the current ones. If not for one of the new edging spikes hitting and breaking a connector, the project went pretty well. We've got to add a few minor things, like window well covers for the kids and decorate the backyard, and then we'll be done.