16 April 2013

I'm Still Here El Guapo

Still here...just plugging away.  The weeks keep flying by and then I realize that it's been a while since I've last made a post. I just don't have as much time at work or at home as I used to have.

We found out that you actually had to pay for the full-day kindergarten program...meaning Julia will now be going half days next fall. Who pays for kindergarten (if you're not using it as child care)? Last week Stacey and I attended an orientation at the school for new kindergarten parents. There were a ton of other parents there too. They reviewed a typical schedule, the dos and donts of being a parent, and fielded several questions.  They also reviewed what Julia should know before coming to school in the fall as well as a calendar of things to do during every day of the summer if we need ideas.  I think Julia already knows most of the necessary things that she needs to know. The harder part for her is going to be adjusting to a new environment and a new teacher. She'll also be in a class of about 25 students - double what she has in her class right now. Hopefully things will go well and her shyness will be become less and less of a factor as she grows up.

Soccer is going well for Julia. She seems to really love it, however, she is behind the other girls. Since she's playing in an age group a year older, some of the other girls have 30 or more games under their belt then she does. It's not too noticeable, but since the team she's on now will go to the larger field next season, Julia will drop back to her appropriate age group next fall. We only did this so I could be there with her and introduce her to the game. The jury is still out whether or not this will be a long-term thing for her. At the end of the day she is having fun, which is really all that matters.

Jonathan is also making good progress eating and gaining weight. We're getting closer and closer to the time when he'll eat all by himself. It's just a matter of time. Right now we've substituted coconut milk for some of the formula he's been on. It's much cheaper and it allows us to back off the volume and the oil. We hope that it will cause him to eat more. As it stands right now he's eating about 10 - 15% of his daily calories. Over time we'll gradually increase this percentage.

Right now I'm pretty busy at work. We're getting close to finishing the big project of the year for our team - the annual board-approved budget. As I mentioned above, I don't have much time for things other then work at work right now.

In unrelated news, I turn 35 years old in ten short days.  Some days I feel 55, but I still think I'm somewhere in my late 20s...