09 June 2013

Liberty Lake

We all slept in this morning after our late night cruising up Mount Spokane in the convertible. We got a late start so we were only able to drive out to and around Liberty Lake, WA before lunch at the Olive Garden. Liberty Lake is the last town before you hit the Idaho border, about 15 minutes east of Spokane.

Aaron and Brenda live in Liberty Lake, as do the parents of a friend of mine, so I was curious to see what it was like. Hardly any of the houses in this town are actually on the lake. Most are situated near the golf course. So, we took a drive for a few minutes out of the developed area to see the lake.  It was pretty windy and cold so we didn't stay too long.

We met up with the rest of the family for lunch at the Olive Garden. It was the first time Julia got to meet her cousins (Aaron and Brenda's girls), since she was too young the last time we got together to remember. Lunch was nice, but John and I had motorcycles on our mind.

After lunch John and I went for a ride on his motorcycles. He's trying to sell one of them, but for now having two worked out well. I hadn't been on a bike in seven years and had never ridden a cruiser before. We took it up to an empty parking lot for me to practice before going for a ride. I was on his Suzuki Boulevard and he rode his Harley Fat Boy. I was surprised how easy the bike was to handle. The Suzuki is a little lighter, which helped. Even still, after five minutes of riding around in slow, tight circles, practicing hard braking, and starting and stopping, I was ready to go. It really came back fast.

The ride was a lot of fun. I really enjoy riding motorcycles, I just wish they were safer. On one hand I want to be smart but on the other hand, I want to live a little. I definitely got the motorcycle itch again.  We'll see after we go for our real ride on Thursday with some of his friends how I feel about it. It sure was a good time.