24 October 2013

A Non-Starter

My almost 20 year old truck was having trouble starting over the past few weeks.  So, last weekend, after doing a little trouble shooting, I stopped by the auto parts store and dropped $80 on a new starter motor.  I had skimmed a few YouTube videos, but not enough to know exactly what I was doing.

About 90% of the time was spent figuring out how to and removing the old unit. Had I owned the right tools and knew what to do, I probably could have done this in an hour.  It took about 4 hours, but it was a relatively easy job.  I'm sure it would have cost a lot more had I taken it to the mechanic shop.  For those who are wondering, my truck has started every time since the replacement.

Description of pictures, left to right: access to the area through the passenger side wheel well, a closer look inside the wheel well (locate the orange oil filter for reference later), the old starter motor and solenoid, a very close view of the area inside the wheel well with the starter removed (locate the gear, that's where the starter goes), the new starter, and the new starter bolted back in and working.

One of the best "finds" from this process was how well Simple Green cleaner works on dirty hands.  My hands were black with dirt and grime and Simple Green took it right off in a matter of seconds.