07 September 2016

Peru Inca Trail Cause Trek - Mid-way Report

While we were away my Mom took care of the kids. It was much easier for her to come and stay at our house. That way the kids could keep their normal schedule and we wouldn't have to pack a bunch of things for them. Plus, they would be coming over here each day to take care of Freckles.

My Mom sent this email half way through our trip. We thought it was so funny to read that I want to keep a record of it for our blog book.  Below are the parts about the kids.

"Dear Ones,

Just thought I would send you an email to let you know how things are going! The kids are the best. We are getting along fine. They are saying that it is fun to have Grandma staying over but they both miss mom and dad. For me to move in permanently, I pointed out that they would have to give away all their toys since that is the only place for my bedroom. Pause. Still haven't heard back on that one.


Julia has the answer to most everything. Jonathan echoes. But a few times he knew where something was when Julia wasn't sure! Big score!

Julia is keeping me in line:

~ No shoes in the house....I negotiated wearing my sandals if I promised to not wear them outside and clean them really well. She had mercy as my feet hurt walking without shoes anywhere for any length of time.
~ Toaster....we are not getting along. Burnt toast until Julia gave me very clear instructions on how to watch the toast.
~ Bad word. I used a 4 letter word and got reprimanded. After lifting Freckles off the kitchen counter AGAIN while cooking, I lovingly called Freckles D-U-M-B. BIG NO-NO. I will watch my words.
~ I am learning details like how the living room white blankets get rolled before putting them back in the basket.
~ Watered the hanging flower pots without taking them down but now do it correctly.
~ Guest bathroom towels are off limits. Handed one to Jonathan after his shower but hung it right back like a hot potato.
~ Tested me on how to get to the mailbox. Didn't know the path shortcut and Jonathan loved showing me.

They are both sleeping well and in bed by 8 PM. For the first time Jonathan had a bad dream last night and woke me up around 3:00AM. I sat with him hoping he would fall asleep and he told me he was okay and could go to sleep without me staying. He woke up again at 4 AM and I had him rest on the sofa downstairs until 5 - I think he slept another hour. Otherwise they have been sleeping in until at least 6:15AM.

Minor skirmishes about random things....Jonathan says he is better at math. Locked Julia out of the bathroom. Who goes first for cuddles and showers. Who gets to do what....the usual stuff I'm sure.


Saw and talked with Jen, John and girls plus Kensai (sp) and Kyla (sp) with their dad at the swimming pool on Monday. Someone had vomited in the pool so we all had to stay out until the chemicals kicked in...big topic of discussion."

Hilarious, isn't it?!  Later on during our trip Grandma broke the iron.  Really, the iron was old and it probably just happened to break while she was here.  However, that was a major source of controversy that the kids joking teased Grandma about the next time we talked on the phone.  What a bunch of characters!