The kids have been looking at them every time we've gone in the store over the past year or two. I had a couple of hamsters growing up, so I decided it was time for the kids to each have one of their own. I already had a large aquarium that has been home to fish and toads in the past, so it was a little bit hard to turn down $15.99 per hamster and a little bit more in supplies.
Despite what their name suggests, they are both female hamsters. Jonathan's is bigger and insists that his is a boy. I've decided to choose my battles and I'm not going to argue that point since it really doesn't matter. These hamsters are Djungarian Hamsters - also known as Siberian Hamsters. They are a pretty gray with a black stripe down the back like a chipmunk. In the winter they turn all white to help them avoid predators, but in captivity that usually doesn't happen.
Obviously the kids love having these little pets. However, with their house located in the basement it's already been out of sight and out of mind. I try to get them to feed and take care of them, but more often than not I'm doing the work at night after they go to bed.