15 January 2019

Julia & Jonathan's 23 & Me Results

...and my updated results! For Christmas we bought the kids each a DNA test. As a result, my results were updated as well.  Here are the details and images of the results taken from an email I sent the rest of my family.

Kids inherit 50% of the their DNA from each parent, so the only real question is what 50% did they get of mine and what 50% did they did from Stacey? What’s also interesting to me is that grandchildren don’t inherit 25% from each Grandparent evenly.

Big Development for Me
  • As I suspected, testing both of my parents and my kids has significantly changed my results. In addition, they’ve made some improvements since I tested (remember, I tested almost a full year before you did).  Now that they have a lot more pieces they are classifying me as 45% Scandinavian, 20% French/German, and 19% British/Irish. This has changed from even a few days ago what I sent Michelle, so check your own results. I don’t remember Dad’s results exactly, but now they are calling him about 60% British/Irish, which I think is a little higher than before. My big changed is that they were able to classify a large chunk that was previously in the broad category of NW European. This is all the more reason to get Stacey’s parents to do the test (I just sent them two kits that arrived today).
Grandparent DNA Influence
  • Jonathan got ~ 26.1% of his DNA from Grandma and 23.9% from Grandpa.  He actually has more Scandinavian DNA (from me) than Julia, which is why Grandma is slightly higher.
  • Julia got ~ 28.6% of her DNA from Grandpa and 21.6% from Grandma. She got more French/German from my side that I got more from Dad (it appears).
  • These results are actually the opposite of what I would have guessed!  But see below...
Jonathan (see attached images)
  • 33.3% British/Irish (20% from Stacey, 13% from me), 24% French/German (14% from Stacey, 10% from me), 21% Scandinavian (3% from Stacey, 18% from me).
    • In other words, in his two largest categories of DNA, Stacey contributed a good 50% more than me. Does that explain why he appears more on the Johnson side?  I catch up on the Scandinavian side.
  • I also like to look at it another way. How much DNA did he get out of a possible 100% from his parents?  In other words, the percentages are above from me and Stacey, but how does that compare to what he could have gotten (looking at it this way does not factor in the relative weight of each)?
    • From Aaron’s DNA: Jonathan got roughly 70% of my British/Irish, 50% of my French/German, and 40% of my Scandinavian genes.
    • From Stacey’s DNA: Jonathan got roughly 66.5% of her British/Irish, 40% of her French/German, and 100% of her Scandinavian.
Julia (see attached images)
  • 33% French/German (20% from Stacey, 13% from me), 27% British/Irish (11% from Stacey, 16% from me), 16% Scandinavian (2% from Stacey, 14% from me).
    • In other words, in two of the three major categories I contribute more than Stacey, even though French/German is the highest.  Does that help explain why she appears to be more on my side?
  • I also like to look at it another way. How much DNA did she get out of a possible 100% from her parents?  In other words, the percentages are above from me and Stacey, but how does that compare to what she could have gotten (looking at it this way does not factor in the relative weight of each)?
    • From Aaron’s DNA: Julia got roughly 62% of my French/German, 84% of my British/Irish (which is why I think she falls more on Dad’s side), and 30% of my Scandinavian genes.
    • From Stacey’s DNA: Julia got roughly 60% of her French/German, 37% of her British/Irish, and and 67% of her Scandinavian.
Other
  • Interesting tidbit is that for both kids and Stacey results it’s saying that there is a recent ancestor (for example, like Stacey’s grandparent or great grandparent) that is 100% British/Irish. They already correctly identified this for my Scandinavian side (Mom’s family) and for Stacey’s family (her Grandmother, Renee Heinz).  I really think this is from John Johnson’s side of the family, but we will see…
  • Check out the very small Crow Indian DNA that the kid’s got from Stacey’s side.