06 April 2019

Boulder Roubaix

I got up pretty early this morning to drive up north of Boulder for my second race. This time I was able to ride in the 40+ cat 5 group. This race is unique in that the course is about 50/50 dirt and paved roads. I got up there a little late because around 5 a.m. (a few miles from my house) I hit something sharp and it gashed the sidewall of one my tires. I had to turn around, head home, and throw everything into the back of my truck. Then, while stopping for gas (unplanned) a few minutes later, a woman approached me and needed a jump in the parking lot because her car was dead. Not the low key start I was hoping to have this early in the morning.

On to the race. It was a beautiful day for this short 18.5 mile course. I got caught out and missed the winning breakaway because it happened pretty much right at the start of the race. I had to sit in the second group, cover any moves, and then eventually shed rider after rider in the second group over the last 20% or so of the race. I finished first in that second group, slightly bummed I was caught out, but happy overall. I finished 7th out of 73.