06 September 2020

SS Stage Race

This year for Labor Day I went up to Steamboat Springs with a bunch of teammates to race in my first stage race. Given the course and that it was my first time racing a TT (without any prior practice), I was really just going up there for the fun, the experience, and to hang out and get to know some of the people on the team a little better.

I got in on a nice rental with Erik, married couple Ron and Marisa, and eventually a friend of Marisa's. We had fun racing during the day and watching the Tour de France at night if we weren't going out to dinner. Luckily we had great weather for our race times and avoided the hear, wind and smoke some of the other people or neighboring towns experienced.

In terms of the race, our field was limited to 25 people in the combined Cat 3/4 40 and 50+. I Think we had 16 people in my age group, and I finished 11th overall. Like I said above, it really was for fun given the course and that it was essentially the last race I planned to do this year. I rode with Ron the entire time on Sunday's RR. At the very least, the trip was well worth the amazing pictures I got from Marisa and the fun times hanging out with friends.