21 June 2025

Summer Vibes

This one was a scorcher! This event up in Lyons was aptly-named Summer Vibes. Pretty Coll concept for the weekend with running events (including with your dog), cycling events, camping, live music, inflatable pools, and lots of vendor tents kept everyone entertained.

As far as the race, it was more of a Roubaix style event with paved roads and good gravel. In fact, there are a handful of other events that use these same roads, including Boulder Roubaix. Being familiar with the roads and events, Justin and I opted to use our light and fast road bikes for the short course, while most everyone else used gravel bikes.

There were a few corners that felt a little squirrelly, but as long as we made it through unscathed and with the lead group, the podium was all but secured with miles of paved highway to the finish. We kind of just stayed with the lead group through the dirt sections, and no one really attacked then, so it was hard for anyone to get away on this relatively flat course.

The run in to the finish line was escorted off of the highway shoulder, but we turned off when two ladies started to walk across a cross walk in front of us. I was at the very front, and had scouted out the run in, so I punched the gas so I wouldn't get stuck hitting the brakes at that crucial moment. There was a 90 degree left turn shortly after that, and then a straight run in up over a small bridge to the finish line. You can see from the last picture that it wasn't very close.

As a side note, they had some sweet podium prizes. We all won matching denim jackets that retail for about $150. Easily one of the most expensive prizes Justin or I have won.