27 September 2025

The Rad

This might have been a perfect race. Year three of doing The Rad in Trinidad was probably my best one of the year, and the most memorable.

A few weeks ago I got a flat tire in Canon City, so I finally ditched the trusty rusty slicks for some real gravel tires. They definitely paid off. I felt great all race and I couldn't have written the script better for my strengths. In summary, three or four us immediately found ourselves at the front of the race after the crazy steep hills out of town right after the start. Quickly that became three of us and we were all interested in working together to keep our lead out front.

The three of us rode together through the double track and up to the top of the hill where we turned around. Ty started getting cramps on the way back up the hill to the double track, and Arnie and I dropped him on that hill. I think we both knew that the double track and hills back into town were going to be hard, so we just stuck together without any attacks.

Arnie, in from Bend Oregon, showed off his mountain bike background on the steep downhills of the roller coaster finish back into town. I knew that all I needed to do was follow him close and out-sprint him on the long straightaway to the finish. We were flying down the last hill before the last left turn about as fast as we could take the corners. Arnie was in front and started his sprint first, but I quickly passed him in the final sprint. My power meter said 1,150 max watts, which is probably one of my best efforts ever. I even took a brief second at the end to post up for the victory. I was really happy all around with how the day went.