12 September 2009

Summer Projects Complete!

I know I've been blogging a lot this summer about all of the landscaping projects that I've been doing. However, it's taken a lot of effort, time, and money so naturally it's been a big part of my summer (and thus blog).

For those of you who don't care this post is good news. I'm finally done with the front of the house (not counting one minor thing that I'll just do next summer when we finish the backyard). So, you won't have to read any more of these posts for awhile. I'm glad too.

Last weekend (Labor Day) I finished painting the fence in the backyard, planted another Autumn Blaze Maple tree, and replaced the 2 shrubs I lost due to all the water we got this year. I planted the new tree in the wettest spot alongside the driveway and the spot with the rock drain (previous post). Eventually it should give us some shade and privacy and break up the view of large north face of our house seen from the street. Years from now the roots are going to tear up the driveway, but I don't mind. Having a large tree there is going to be worth it.

This weekend I finished the last thing on my list: the exterior lights. For some reason the builder had installed purplish-maroon light fixtures on many of the houses on our block. After a few years of sun it has turned to a nice shade of faded pink-red. Ugly. With two $7 bottles of Rustoleum I completely changed the way they look. I probably saved about $100 by painting them instead of buying new fixtures.

I feel like I'm flipping this house...to myself.