18 October 2009

Tottenham Update

I haven't made a post about Spurs for awhile, so I decided I should give myself an update about what I think about the season so far (I mean, maybe one or two people that read this probably care besides myself).

Yesterday we earned another win, albeit a difficult one. Even though Portsmouth are at the bottom of the table, they aren't the worst team in the league. Additionally, since we "borrowed" their manager and each side consists of at least 3 or 4 former players from the other team, this was always going to be an emotional, physical, and exciting game to watch.

To be perfectly honest, I'm just glad that we won. I could comment on the fact that we played poorly or that we let the emotions get in the way. One of Portsmouth's former players, Jermain Defoe, got sent off for stamping on a defender's leg. So, Spurs had to play for most of the second half with only 10 players. We also welcomed (I say that loosely) the return of our goalkeeper, Gomes. He made 2-3 absolutely spectacular saves throughout the game to keep us ahead. I say loosely because some of those saves were the result of his own mistakes a few seconds prior and he made a mess of a few plays but went unpunished.

In the end, Spurs continued their spectacular start to the season. This is the best Spurs team (start-wise) in years (possibly in my generation). Right now, almost 25% through the season, we are sitting in a Champions League spot and 3rd in the table. Technically, we are in about 3rd-5th place depending on what happens in the games Arsenal and City have in hand. Considering the previous two seasons (since I've adopted them as my team) have been complete and utter torture, I really can't have any complaints. It's a bit too soon to start dreaming about being in this same spot at the end of the season, so for now I'm just enjoying being near the top. After all, we're only 3 points out of first place.