01 October 2011

Autumn In Colorado

This morning we loaded the kids up and set off into the mountains in search of autumn. This weekend the colors were in their prime. The past few years we've spent the day at Mueller State Park - this time we went exploring. I decided to take a few roads that I've never been on and I'm glad I did.

We left Colorado Springs on Hwy 24 and took a left at Florissant on Colorado Rd 1 towards Cripple Creek. From Cripple Creek we went south on Highway 67/81 to Victor. For you out of towners, this area is on the western side of Pikes Peak. The 81 loop was where the scenery was and the other cars weren't. I suspect most people just head back to Divide from Cripple Creek and miss out on this spectacular loop. I would recommend this drive to anyone. Towards the end we met up with a storm that gave Pikes Peak another dusting of snow - a cold reminder that winter is just around the corner.

The kids did surprisingly well. We topped off the day with a stop at Starbucks in Woodland Park. I think was a pretty memorable day all around for Stacey and me. Next year we'll do this same drive and maybe incorporate a picnic somewhere along the way.