It's amazing the difference that antibiotics and a day on fluids can make. As expected, we were sent home today. The length of our stay this time was only 24 hours long. At least now I can say that the last two April 20ths have been spent in the hospital.
Just like last time, since Jonathan was dehydrated, the nurses had trouble placing an IV. Just like last time, they had to call down a nurse from the pediatric intensive care unit to do it. Like a rock star, the PICU nurse practically walked right up and poked him and walked away.
The night was pretty uneventful. Stacey went home to get some rest from the night before and to get some work done in the morning while I slept at the hospital. This time I was able to lull him to sleep on the couch and then put him in the hospital bed. Last year he was so scared that we had to hold him for two weeks straight even at night. I had to wake up four to five times throughout the night to hold him, get him to fall back asleep, and then transferred to the crib. He kept asking for "Momma" and "Sister".
He kept a drip feeding down overnight as well. In the morning he had a nice wet diaper and a good appetite. He kept smaller feedings down this afternoon at home, but he's still not 100%. We took a pretty conservative approach with bringing him in for 24 hours. He may have recovered on his own...he may not have. All I know is that he went from a lethargic limp noodle to playing in the dirt in the backyard 24 hours later because we brought him in. Like me, I'm sure he's happy to be sleeping in his own bed tonight.