12 April 2012

This Post Is Drywall

A few days ago I finished up my first drywall repair. It turned out pretty well considering I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Enough mud, caulk, and paint can cover up a lot of mistakes. Most of my mistakes were due to rushing the job and not thinking through or researching what needed to be done - something that I seem to be dong more of lately. I can think of two little reasons why that's the case.

Since my pipe repair stuck out a quarter of an inch, I had to hollow out two areas so the drywall would lay flush. I couldn't fit the piece inside the door opening, so I had to cut it in half. If I would have taken some time to think through where I cut it, I may have avoided the gaps and not cut in the one place that I needed wall to mount one of the shelves.

The texture and paint were pretty easy. Considering a lot of the work is covered now by food and the door stays shut 99.9% of the time, I guess it was a good place to learn from my mistakes.