10 July 2012

Senior Budget and Forecast Analyst

It's official - I've been offered and accepted a new position within the Finance department at Compassion. My official start date is the 23rd of this month. I'm pretty excited about it.

This job reports to the Budget and Forecast Director, who is responsible for the overall budget and quarterly forecast process. It's a step up in grade (i.e. a promotion) and a significant increase in pay. This is a big deal for us personally, as it certainly puts us in the "one income would be enough should something happen with Stacey's job" category. In the meantime, it's going to mean we'll be able to live a little while still meeting our financial goals. Professionally, it will open a lot of doors and increase my workload, level of influence, responsibility, and therefore I believe, my satisfaction. I'm happy doing what I do now, but fulfillment will most likely be greater in this new position.

The year that I took off and helped with kids seems to have been a good decision now. It was a little bit of a gamble, but I'm glad that I took the time to think and pray about where I should land instead of taking the first job that came along. I knew that I was probably over qualified for my current position, but I accepted it knowing that I would have the opportunity to move up. Upward mobility and growth wasn't an option at my previous employer. I guess this is rare example of making plans and then having them actually work out.

Julia is happy for me too. She's glad that we can get a different car and go camping now. This will have more impact on her long term then just that, but for now we'll call it good with a few camping trips. Funny how kids pick up conversations and process things..