This afternoon Stacey took the kids over to my parent's animal hospital to let them "play with the animals". We were really having them stop by to check out the kittens and to see what the kids thought about them, how they would do with them, etc. Julia took a liking to one kitten in particular since it was cuter, softer, and a little bit more mellow then the rest.
We didn't tell Julia that we were probably going to take one home, so the kids left and came back home after visiting them. After I work I met my parents and picked up the kitten. The kids didn't freak out quite as much as we had hoped, but they were definitely excited and interested in our new pet.
Julia really likes the name Freckles. I think we're going to have a hard time changing it to anything else since that's what she's been calling it tonight. We sort of had to make the kids back off at first until the kitten got used to its surroundings, mainly because it was already a little bit afraid. After only about 30 minutes it took a little tinkle in its litter box. Although it had been using a litter box up to this point, it was a welcomed relief (no pun intended). However, it really likes our rugs and curtains, so we'll have to address that soon. The markings and the colorings are very interesting and pretty on this one.
As I've been typing this blog Freckles has been exploring the house a little bit. She's been tearing back and forth between the dining room and where I'm sitting in the office, but it's quite entertaining. It's nice to have an animal back in the house. Personally, I don't like one more then the other, but cats (especially kittens) are very interesting to watch. They are actually pretty amazing creatures. This last paragraph has taken awhile to finish because Freckles has taken a liking to me and my desk. It's a little hard to type when you have a purring kitten in your lap and/or circling your keyboard and monitor...