12 November 2012

Daddy Daughter Time

This weekend Julia and I went up to the cabin for some hang out time. On the way up Julia kept saying that she needed a break from her little brother, since he takes her toys and chases her around the house. I just wanted to spend some one on one time with her since Jonathan is typically the focus right now, what with his feedings, doctor appointments, and terrible two shenanigans.

I left work a little early on Friday. Julia and Stacey were able to run and pick out a few treats for the both of us, making this weekend fun on many levels. Trying to leave was a little sad because Jonathan really wanted to come. He tried to pack his own toothbrush and wanted his shoes and hat on too. I could tell he wanted to come with us, but he'll have his own time soon enough.

The weekend weather was cold, and we got a few brief and small snowfalls over both nights we stayed here. Saturday morning we woke up and made smoothies and I taught Julia how to play the game of Life. She beat me handily the first time. We just sort of did whatever she wanted to do, which included playing with the snow outside. We "painted" different things around the cabin with snow, threw snowballs into the lake, drank hit chocolate, read a few books, played some other made up board games, and played with the walkie talkies.

Julia definitely had a good time. In fact, in addition to being silly, extra sweet, and loving, she actually told me something along the lines of "thanks Dad for planning or arranging (or similar) a weekend at the cabin with just you and me". Those are pretty big words coming from a 4 year old, especially since she knows and says exactly what she means.