23 December 2012

2012 Fantasy Football Champion

My name is finally in lights...well, at least the fluorescent ones in the office above my cubicle. I was able to avenge last year's loss in the championship game and capture my first fantasy crown ever. Although I've never actually won before, the last four years that I've played at work I've been the top one or two teams/seeds in three of those four years. Fantasy football is one of those funny games where the best team doesn't always win, so it's not surprising this is my first title.

I don't think anyone else really cares about this, but it was worth making a post strictly based on the amount of time I spent watching football and keeping up with the latest news to field the best team possible. It's not like I had anything else to do at night after the kids went down for bed. I actually find the game really entertaining and I know everyone out there has their own personalized ways they waste time. I must like it because it's a cross between analysis, sports, and trading stocks while at the same time a game.

When all was said and done I took home $135 over the course of the season for the $20 I had to put in up front. Not bad. My team was pretty balanced. Although I was an active manager and tried my best to strengthen my bench, I drafted the majority of my best players. I survived any major injuries, won my division, and was technically tied for the best record in the regular season. In the championship game I had my second best week of the year and handed my opponent his worst defeat of the season. Not a bad way to go out. Although the score was close for awhile, I always had the upper hand because most of my players were playing in the later games, meaning I had plenty of points still to earn. The title was never in doubt.

So, what's my lasting legacy? My name is now on the pizza box lid trophy and I've continued the streak where a manager whose name starts with the letter A wins.