31 December 2012

Well Built, In

Today I finished up one of my projects, a built-in television cabinet. A coworker of mine and her husband had done something similar in their house. Since seeing a picture of their creation I've wanted to do the same in our living room.

I worked on the project over the holidays since I had a lot of time off. I knew it wouldn't be that difficult since the boards I used for the shelves were sold at Home Depot in the exact size I needed. All I really needed to do was to design it, cut a few boards for support/dividers, and trim the face of it. Things went really well even though I caught my middle finger on the underside of the circular saw. It split wide open but not deep enough to do any damage. In a few more days you won't even be able to tell something happened.

I've included before and after pictures. Can you tell what's different? The decorations are essentially the same but I've made some significant improvements to the space. I dare say it's starting to feel a little more like a home. If you like these you'll like pictures of my next project because they will also include a trimmed out fireplace.