The reason why I like doing it is twofold. Firstly, it gives you a reason to get out of the house and go somewhere. I typically need a reason to do something. I'm not sure I would leave the house just to go hang out somewhere. If there is a reason to go, that is, an end goal in mind, it makes it a purposeful trip rather than aimlessly hanging out and killing time. It might be a guy thing. Secondly, a lot of these caches are hidden in neat areas that I otherwise wouldn't know about or ever find. There are a ton of great areas that you wouldn't know existed. It's a great way to explore an area and see the best of it. You can learn a lot about an area, such as we used to have glaciers in Colorado, and see how they shaped a mountain top. If it weren't for a cache placed there I would have obliviously blown by it at 70 mph.
Our trip to Grand Lake was a great example. I actually was the first person to find two caches. One was a mystery I had to solve (hence the photo in the sky as to not give away the location) - the other was entertaining just due to the container that the cache was hidden in. The mystery cache took us to a great hiking area where I saw the moose. Another cache took us to see the waterfall I have pictures of a few posts below.