05 July 2013

Grand Lake, Colorado

In an effort to "get out" and start seeing things now that the kids are a little older, we packed up the two door jalopy and headed up to Grand Lake for the holiday weekend. I had never been up to this part of Colorado before, and since Grand Lake is the largest natural body of water in Colorado, the three hour drive from home seemed worth it.

The original plan was to drive up on the fourth of July and see fireworks. Earlier in the day we found out that the show didn't even start until 10 p.m., way past all of our bedtime. The explosions echoing off of the mountainsides woke us up anyway.

There isn't a lot to do here other than be on the water, hike, and relax during the summer.  In the winter the area is a hotbed for Nordic skiing and snowmobiling...both things I think the kids would eventually enjoy.  Instead of researching online, talking to locals, or using a guidebook, I let the geocaches guide our exploration of the area. After a 9 year hiatus, I've picked it up again thanks to our time in Spokane with the Wisers. I'll make a separate post later, but it's always been a great way to find places and views you otherwise wouldn't find.

It's rained here every day - you can tell it's a much wetter part of the state.  Instead of a boat, we're considering kayaks and a popup camper next year. We will see.  It would be possible to carry all of us and all of those toys at the same time...and an easy and relatively inexpensive way to get out on the water.