08 April 2015

First Tooth

Julia finally lost her first tooth!  She was so excited...and you can tell that from her picture below. Her tooth had been loose for months and she was really wanting it to come out since almost everyone in her class had already lost a tooth. If you look closely you can see the adult tooth coming in (which is why her baby tooth came out).

Julia had been wiggling it back and forth for a while. However, neither of us could really grab a hold of it with our fingers. Today it was practically falling out, so I suggested that I use a pair of pliers to gently pull it out.  I promised that I would be gentle and stop if it hurt.  I was banking on the idea that pulling it straight up actually wouldn't hurt at all, and I was right.  The tooth came right out with a soft pull from the pliers.  She was so excited. It bled for a few minutes, but after that everything was fine except that it "felt funny" when she ran her tongue across her teeth.

For several months we have been bantering back and forth with Julia about the Tooth Fairy. She keeps insisting, like Santa Claus, that the Tooth Fairy isn't real...it's the parents. She even mentioned that a friend at school saw her dad being the Tooth Fairy for her sister.  So, although she doesn't believe it, we still have some fun teasing her about the Tooth Fairy and playing it out.  Before she went to sleep she put her tooth in this envelope.  The next morning the "Tooth Fairy" swapped out her tooth for 50 cents and this Certificate of Authenticity (Stacey's idea).