20 March 2016

Hanauma Bay

One of the must-visit places on Oahu is Hanauma Bay. We went to this beach two times on our trip.  I had bought the kids disposable waterproof cameras to take pictures of all the fish that live in the bay.  Tip of the day: buy $5 - $8 snorkeling masks at Walmart instead of renting them here (what we did).  It's significantly cheaper and you get to keep the equipment when you're done.

Unfortunately for the kids the snorkeling didn't really pan out.  They can't swim yet, and a little afraid of deep, rough water.  "Snorkeling" involved getting a piggy back ride from Dad into deep enough water, dunking their head underwater for a split second, and hoping to see something move.  Julia saw a couple of fish, but I don't think Jonathan was able to see anything.  I ended up swimming past the end of the reef with their cameras to take pictures for them while they played on the beach with Mom.  I will post a few of them when we get the film developed (yes, they still so this...apparently).

I had a great time even though the waves were a little rough.  I only got a couple shin cuts, but I got a couple of great shots of the kids.  Man, what beautiful faces!