23 March 2016

Surf's Up!

One of the things I'll remember most about our trip to Hawaii is renting a surfboard. Although I took it out for a little bit, the kids mostly used it.  There was a small area behind some breakers where the waves were just the right size for the kids.  I would tow the board out as far as I could (probably 30 - 40 feet from shore) and then wait for the perfect wave. I was able to give the board a big push so that it would catch the wave while the kids were sitting down.  After the big push the kids would stand up and ride the wave to the shore.

This was also great entertainment for the rest of the beaches goers (many smiles/laughs). A few other kids bummed a ride here and there too. The kids were talking the rest of the trip that they were the "famous surfers" and that they were "so good even after the first day".  We probably spent 4 - 5 hours doing this over the course of two sessions. Julia enjoyed it a lot more since she was more sure of her balance and could keep her head above the water more easily.  She also looked like a surfer girl with her blond hair and sweet moves by the end.