27 March 2017

Costa Rica - Hanging Bridges

The first morning in Arenal we woke up to a beautiful view and sunrise. We got ready and drove a few minutes back  the direction we came to make our 8 a.m. tour of Arenal Hanging Bridges Park. I had made reservations for the family with a guide versus walking it ourselves to maximize our experience.

The park is home to some of the coolest wildlife that Costa has to offer. The walk is about 2 miles through jungle-like terrain, but since it crisscrosses a river repeatedly, has something like 15 bridges that you have to walk across along the way.  Several of these bridges are cable suspension bridges and some rise probably 100 or more feet off the ground. The fact that the bridges swung back and forth while walking across them added to the excitement for the kids. I may or may not have made it swing more than was necessary.


Although I don't have very many pictures of the wildlife, either because they were too fast of too far or I forgot, here's a list of unique animals I can recall seeing on our trip in addition to the coatis I showed in a previous post: monkeys, an iguana, turkey vultures, leaf cutter ants, pelicans, a toucan, a couple of sloths, lizards, and a frog. We looked for tarantulas on this hike, but we couldn't find any. It's possible that there were a few more animals that we saw that I am forgetting at this moment.

Jonathan and Julia walked the entire way, and they and Stacey thanked me for booking this reservation. It was a fun morning activity for us on our first day in the area. After the hike the kids enjoyed a snack and we enjoyed more delicious Costa Rican coffee at the restaurant onsite. I took the below picture of the Arenal Volcano from the restaurant, demonstrating the sweet view.