14 July 2019

Seattle to Portland (STP), Day 2

I woke up on Day 2 pretty early mainly because everyone else was up and moving around and following the plan to get an early start. The forecast called for really nice weather into Portland, with a bit of a tailwind, so we all wanted to finish before the day got too hot.

I felt pretty good on the second day after being on the bike for a little bit and getting the muscles warmed back up. The weather was really good and the scenery was much better than the first day. The first half of the morning in southern Washington was rolling farmland and a nice stretch according other riders as well. When we got into Oregon we crossed a few bridges, which were fun, and it also allowed me to get a few good pictures of Columbia River and of the area outside of Portland.

Stacey (along with a crowd of others) were waiting at the finish line. It felt good to have accomplished the ride and to have everything go according to plan. The ride overall was easier and harder than expected. It really wasn't that hard from a cardiovascular standpoint (sea level, flat, low intensity), but my body and muscles are more trained for shorter, sharper efforts. It did get uncomfortable and my legs were definitely tired after the two days.


I received a finisher's patch and a baseball cap, which fits my head perfectly. Add those to the t-shirt I bought, these pictures, and some good memories, and I'll remember this experience for a long time. I was asked if I would do this ride again. I'm not so sure at this point, but definitely wouldn't do it the same way as this year. If I were to do it again, I'd form a team of several people and do all 206 miles in one day, sharing the load. That would be epic!