18 February 2024

Tucson Training Camp, Day 4

Today was all about Mount Lemmon. The ride started off really well and I had set a really good pace for myself on the first half of the climb. Near the top I managed to hit a sharp rock in the road and it tore the sidewall of the old tires I had brought for the trip. I tried to patch it and boot it, but the other tube popped a few minutes later. We had a SAG vehicle for just the occasion, but for some reason he decided to drive ahead to the top, leaving me to stand by the road for almost two hours waiting for him to come back down. There wasn't any way I was going to descend on that tire. I did get a spare wheel for the descent, so I was thankful but also a little bit annoyed since the two hours was unnecessary. Not too mention we chose to do this route on a Sunday and holiday weekend, so there were cars nonstop on the route despite my pictures suggesting otherwise. I'll have to go back sometime and rode the entire ascent and on a less busy day!