01 June 2008

Euro 2008

What is the most watched sporting event in the world? The World Cup. What's the second most watched sporting event in the world? The European Championships, more commonly called The Euros. I guess it's not surprising considering the Euros are pretty much the World Cup less Argentina and Brazil. There are some African, Asian, and North American countries in the World Cup, but for all intents and purposes Argentina and Brazil are the only contenders outside of Europe.

I've watched the last two Euros in 2000 and 2004 at a local pub in Boulder and Berkeley, respectively. I don't know if there is a connection between liberal college towns and football, but I'm going to disprove this theory by watching this year's final at a pub in Colorado Springs. Luckily, ESPN2 is televising this year's tournament so I will be able to watch the weekday games at home after work. In 2000 and 2004 it was a challenge to find a television. This time around, the only challenge will be finding the best place to watch it outside of my living room. I believe this is just another example of the growth of the sport in this country over the past 10 years. It used to be on pay-per-view and shown in the dark, back room of an Irish pub. In 2008 it's going to be available to 88.4 million homes on ESPN2...and some matches will even be on ESPN with the final shown on ABC.

The final in 2000 between France and Italy is still my fondest football memory (or experience). Bryan and Stephanie joined me at the pub in Boulder, which made it that much more interesting since Bryan had recently returned from his exchange program in France. The place was packed...packed as in you were standing shoulder to shoulder with complete strangers and making your way to the counter was a 5 minute process. The color blue was everywhere: on shirts, on faces, in hair. The atmosphere was electric. Fans would break into song in the middle of the match for no reason. To top it off, the game was outstanding. Italy were winning 1-0 and at the very end of the game (injury time) France scored a goal to send it to extra time. A few minutes into extra time France scored again and the game was over (golden ball/sudden death rule at that time). The place was mostly filled with French fans, so the placed went berserk. To this day I still don't know the names of, or how many people I got hugs from after the goal went in. All I know was that it was an outstanding time and a great memory.

If this year's tournament and "spot" are half as good as they were in Boulder, I'm going to be a very happy little boy for the next
few weekends starting Saturday.