28 August 2008

Labor Day Weekend

Thought I’d let you all know what I’m doing this weekend, since it seems to be growing into quite the adventure. After work today I’m heading down to the Uncompahgre National Forest to climb some 14ers with Josh, Jason, Chad, and depending on the mountain, some of Josh’s family. The peaks are circled in yellow on the map of Colorado and are located near Telluride. Clockwise starting from the top left they are Wetterhorn, Uncompahgre, Redcloud, Sunshine, and Handies.

Before I was certain I could take Friday off my plan was to go down on Sunday, meet up with everyone, and just climb Handies. However, I was able to get Friday off and it opened up the whole weekend. After giving it some thought, we realized that it would be possible for me to hit all 5 of the 14ers in the area this weekend. The other guys have already done some of the peaks in this area, so Josh encouraged me to take advantage of the opportunity so that I wouldn’t have to make the 10 hour round trip more then once (as they have done).

So the weekend is shaping up like this:

Thursday – pick of Jason in Woodland Park, drive to Lake City, Colorado and setup camp.

Friday – Josh, Jason, Chad, and I are going to pile into the back of my truck at the lower parking lot on Uncompahgre and 4WD up another 3.5 miles or so up the road. Having a 4WD vehicle on this 14er cuts 7 miles off of the slog. Since Jason’s family isn’t coming in until Friday night, Jason and I are probably going to break off after summiting Uncompahgre and continue on towards Wetterhorn. For those of you with good memories, Wetterhorn is the peak I attempted spring of 2007 but didn’t make it to the top. So, I’m excited that this time I won’t have to deal with the snow, wear snowshoes the entire way, nor have to use crampons and ice axe. Josh and Jason will head back to the car and head down the highway a few miles to meet us at the Wetterhorn trailhead, where we’ll pop out. Chances are we’ll have radio contact between the two groups the entire way, if not cell phones.

Saturday – if there are no takers in our group, I’ll get up early and join up with someone that will undoubtedly be doing the Redcloud and Sunshine loop. It’s less miles then the day before, so it should be an easy couple to bag.

Sunday – Handies with Josh’s family and friends. This climb will be quite the cool down after Friday and Saturday. I predict it will feel like a walk in the park after the previous two days. Drive back to Colorado Springs.

If all goes as planned I think the total mileage will be close to that of a marathon, but up and down mountains. Good thing it’s going to be spread out over 3 days and I’ll have nothing to do afterwards but eat and relax. Should be a great time regardless!