21 April 2009

The Four Corners

This is me in 4 states at one time...or so I thought.

Did you hear the news today? The initial survey measurements taken in 1868 of Colorado's southern border were inaccurate...meaning the actual location of the 4 corners is really 2.5 miles east/northeast of where this picture was taken. Apparently, the true location lies within the currently accepted borders of Colorado...meaning I'm squatting like an idiot in the middle of nowhere Arizona. I want my $6 back.

Here's the thing though. If the measurements were off, does this mean that Colorado is going to have to give up that land to the 3 other states? If all of the states involved had previously agreed that the physical location/boundaries are where this picture was taken, doesn't that technically mean that this still would be considered the 4 corners? Unless the physical state lines are redrawn, this place is still the 4 corners even if the original measurements were off, right?

It's like my and my neighbor's front lawn that share a property boundary. There is an official property line somewhere, but in practice my lawn starts and stops with the line drawn by my sprinkler system. Does my sprinkler system perfectly straddle the property line? Not likely. So, in reality is the true property line what it says on the map or where the sprinkler system is laid? Practically speaking (not legally speaking), the real property line is where the sprinkler system lies. So, using that example the current 4 corners location is still legit until everyone agrees to move it...and even if they move the 4 corners it won't change the fact that when I visited the location it was the 4 corners. I'm going to stick to that...mainly because I don't want to have to drive down to the middle of nowhere again and pay another $6.