Every so often the planets and stars align and provide me with some serious blog content. Today was one of those days.
I was walking up the stairs to work after working out at the Briargate YMCA today and spotted something most unusual on the wall...a Walking Stick insect! I know that these little guys survive in trees by hiding in plain sight, but I've never actually seen one in person before let alone in Colorado let alone in the middle of town in Colorado. I gently poked and prodded him and as expected, he really didn't move much. In the right picture below I'm holding up two pine tree needles to show you just how skinny these insects really are. At the very least I find it fascinating that there are creatures out there like this. If you're interested in seeing more, Google these insects and you'll find ones as tall as a man in other parts of the world.
After coming inside I logged on to my computer and found out that Spurs had signed England international striker Peter Crouch from Portsmouth. Our current manager and his now fellow Spurs striker partner both were at Portsmouth last season. For those of you who don't know about Crouch, he is soccer's version of the Walking Stick order of insects. He's listed at 6'7" tall and 155 pounds. That's right, he's a foot taller then I am yet weighs the same as I do! Although he's a good player, it's really funny to watch someone this tall and skinny play soccer.
I played soccer with a guy in high school that was built like this...Kevin Meyer. Who, to further round out this post, I think I saw working at the Briargate YMCA last week.
