01 July 2009

Julia Flies

Julia just finished her first flight. Technically she has flown before (this is her third trip in 18 months), but the trip up to Spokane was the first flight now that she's aware of her surroundings.

The flight from Denver to Spokane went really well for us since she slept the entire way. She was awake for the entire flight from Colorado Springs to Denver though and that's when we got to watch her little brain process what it means to fly.

We had the window seat in our aisle so she got to watch the landscape the entire flight. She didn't seem to mind when we took off until the landing gear disappeared under the wing outside our window. For the next 15 minutes or so (the rest of the flight), she kept pointing towards the missing landing gear and saying "uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh". She was saying it so often that I began to wonder if she knew something I didn't know. I thought like women's intuition there might be something similar called "baby sense". I assured her repeatedly that the landing gear would come back when we were about to land but it didn't seem to register.

The funniest one-liners Julia used were:

- after a few minutes of silence she looked out the window and said "down" in the same way she says it when she wants off of a chair or the bed. I thought that was very perceptive. Obviously, on some level she knew we were "up".

- when the plane banked left or right she said "whoa" in the same way she says it when she almost stumbles or loses her balance. When coming in for landing we took a really sharp turn and in fear she said "whoa whoa whoa whoa" very fast and in succession.

- of course, once the plane did something she liked and we got a big "weeeeeeeeeeee".

It was quite hilarious and, as usual, it stopped as soon as I took out my camera to record her.