20 November 2009

Latest FIFA Rankings

FIFA just released their latest rankings today, two days after qualification ended. Since the discussion points about my last post really center around what pot the USA will be placed in (and maybe that the Netherlands might get a seeded spot), I figure I should give you some more information. The rankings don't mean a whole lot in determining who is the best team, but I do think that they are used to determine seeding. Plus, these rankings are produced by the same organization (FIFA) that will be determining where the USA gets placed.

Latest Rankings
South America - Chile 17, Uruguay 19, Paraguay 30
North America - USA 14, Mexico 15, Honduras 38

Average Ranking of the 3 Teams
South America - 22.00
North America - 22.33

It's pretty close when you look at the rankings. It could go either way. However, I'd still give South America the advantage due to the fact that their region is much harder (they will probably have 2 seeded teams) as well as the fact Uruguay just beat Costa Rica (another North American team) in Wednesday's playoffs. When you look at the lowest ranked teams in each region, Paraguay is actually much better then Honduras in my opinion. Paraguay were on the top of the South American qualifying group for much of the time. Although the USA did great at this summer's Confederations Cup, we had a terrible showing at the World Cup in 2006...so those are probably a wash if not a demerit (using past World Cup performances).

I hope we will be placed in the 3rd pot with the African teams, but it probably won't happen. Then again, FIFA always deliver some surprise in the draw format. Plus, I don't have all of the information that they will have. It will be a close decision, but I think South America will probably get the nod...that is, unless FIFA place more emphasis on other/the factors that will favor the USA.