Due to everything going on during this time of year, I’ve been a bit remiss in not posting that on Thursday our Kitty went to “cat heaven” . She had been fighting kidney problems since we had returned from Hawaii. Although I do know the best veterinarian in town, we decided that this time was the last time we would admit her to the hospital. We had found ourselves in an inevitable cycle of treatment and then weight loss, toxicity (and thus vomiting), and all around poor health due to her failing kidney function. On Thursday we came to the end of the road called “good quality of life” as most pet owners do.
Kitty had been a member of my family since 2002. So, for Stacey, she has been in the picture since we started dating and have been married. Kitty’s story starts in Spokane, WA. A co-worker of mine (Sarah) at Fairchild AFB has rescued her from the pound in 2001. In 2002, she had to PCS and was engaged to a person who was allergic to cats. She asked me if I would be willing to take her cat. I really wasn’t that interested at first but agreed to at least meet her cat. After all, I wasn’t a cat person and as a single guy the thought of owning a cat didn’t seem very heterosexual (maybe that’s just me). My perception of this specific cat changed as soon as we walked through Sarah’s apartment door. Kitty was very excited to see Sarah, and jumped up on the back of the couch to greet her. As Sarah went over greet her, Kitty reared up on her hind legs and nuzzled her face against Sarah’s. To me, that was enough to prove that Kitty was an exceptionally good-natured cat.
When I took her home to my apartment in 2002 she stayed under the bed for about 3 days straight (she was a pretty timid cat). Eventually she came around and then followed me everywhere. Some of my first memories of her were in the bathroom sink. She liked to hop in the sink and lick the underside of the faucet. She also liked to sit in my lap while I was watching television and slept against me every night on the bed. For a single guy that lived alone in an apartment, Kitty was a great little companion even if she was a cat. She was an extremely social cat and behaved in many senses like a dog. Stacey eventually came into the picture and consistent with her temperament (Kitty), she quickly became fond of Stacey. I think during the time we lived in Hawaii Kitty adopted Stacey as her favorite of the two of us. Even during the time she stayed with my parents when I was in Texas, she warmed up to my Dad. The point is, she was a “lover” and that’s something that can make a cat a really good pet. If my Dad thought she was an “awesome cat”, she probably was. He’s seen a few pass through the exam room the past 30 years.
We moved, bought a house and Stacey became pregnant with Julia all about the same time. This was also when Kitty started having problems with her kidneys. Later, we picked up Quincey which added to our family as well. Unfortunately, due to our changing situation but more due to her failing health, Kitty slowly faded more and more into the background of our everyday life. A few years ago, she would have invited herself into the center of our home life. The past year or two, we didn’t see much of her unless we cracked open a can of tuna fish. For Stacey and me this was an obvious departure from her normal behavior proving that she just didn’t feel well anymore.
Julia hasn’t asked too many questions about Kitty since Thursday. She knows Kitty isn’t around anymore, but I don’t know if she understands fully. We’ve told her that she was “sick”, “has gone bye-bye”, “won’t be right back”, etc. He accepts our answer at the time with as much thought as it probably takes her to ask the question (little, I’m saying). She asks every now and then in passing but I don’t think it’s a major issue for her at this point. It was probably good timing as far as Julia is concerned (age and she’s going to be getting a brother or sister in 6 months). When I put Kitty in the pet carrier Thursday morning, Julia did catch on that Kitty didn't like the idea. She went over to the cage and patted the top of it and said "don't worry Kitty". It was adorable to see Julia try and comfort her.
At any rate, it has been a little different coming home and not being greeted at the door. At night when heading upstairs, I still think I see her in the shadows – she was dark colored and I had to watch where I stepped at night so I wouldn’t step on her. It is funny how habits form and how I expect to see her (and sometimes think I see her) just because I have over the past 7 years or so. At the end of the day she was just an animal (i.e. replaceable, etc)…but one that’s been part of our life for years. What I find interesting is not that I miss her much – more that without her around things are different. The routine and what I’ve known for the last 7 years is no longer. I’m not saying it’s good or bad, just different. My mind expects to see something and it doesn’t anymore. It’s a weird feeling even if I’m not that emotional about it. I come around the corner expecting to see something or someone and they/it aren’t there. It’s a surreal sort of feeling.
