Yes, yes it is Alex. Over the past few months I've been going back and forth over whether or not to continue my cell phone service. In the end I decided it's something that we could live without but that it's also something we enjoy using. So, given our current situation, I've decided to "enjoy life" a little bit and keep my nerd hip accessory.
That's not my dilemma. My dilemma is the iPhone. After 2 years the battery is going out. Due to the way it's designed the battery doesn't get replaced, the entire phone does. I'm pretty sure this is a convenient way to get a new iPhone as other friends have gone this route. However, there are some really slick gadgets out there and I'm wondering if I should ditch the iPhone for something else. I don't want to get a new iPhone that is a lot like what I already have nor do I want to get the same new old phone I already have. That is, if they even still support the original iPhone (they are phasing it out other ways).
So here's what I'm looking to find: a phone that has a camera, email, text messaging, and web surfing similar to the iPhone (i.e. it looks like it does on a computer). In addition, integration with iTunes would be great but not a requirement since I already have a spare iPod. I don't use many apps and the ones I do use could easily be replaced with shortcuts. One unit that impressed me was the Palm Pixi on Sprint. It makes the iPhone look like a brick even though it has an actual keyboard on it. I think this has everything I'm looking for but without the trendiness and features I won't use on an iPhone. I played with a Pixi at work (a guy just got one) and it was pretty sweet.
My contract has expired but Stacey's doesn't until August (or some time months away). So, we'd have to pay a couple hundred to switch to Sprint. Then again, Sprint is way too expensive. Looking at ATT's other phones nothing really appeals to me though. Maybe if I see one in person it will change my mind. I guess if worse comes to worse I'll just have to suck it up/settle with a newer iPhone. Ho-hum.
(I realize that this post is trivial considering the time of year...and uber-consumer young American yuppie. All I can say to that is WHAT-EVER.)