After some pretty nasty weather Friday night and Saturday, it cleared up enough on Sunday for Matt and me to really tackle the patio. I had 3.5 tons of road base and 1.5 tons of concrete sand delivered on Friday along with the pavers. 3.5 plus 1.5 equals 10,000 pounds. The driver for Pioneer was just barely able to fit his dump truck up our driveway and drop one load (the road base). Once it was dropped we had no other choice but to drop the sand closer to the end of the driveway.
We got started right at 7:30 and I called it a day about 4. It was a long day. The good news is that this was the big job. Now that it's done, we probably won't have another day as long or as hard as this and a lot of the work hours are now behind us. We laid the road base with shovels and wheelbarrows and then left the house to rent the plate compactor. After all of the road base was compacted, we had to throw some of the dirt back on the top and compact it since we were a little low. I had pulled out too much dirt while excavating and really didn't know how much the road base would compact. We then laid the sand and compacted it too...and have about a wheelbarrow of sand to spare. As far as materials used/ordered go, we were right on the money.
We ran a chalk line (snicker snicker) along the house and I laid the paver border following the line. In case anybody is wondering, sidewalk chalk makes great chalk line chalk if you're willing to "color" the string by hand. I'd also recommend using as pink of a color as possible on the job site if you're trying to maximize "mockage".
Today was a lot of work even though the pictures don't look that different. We're ready to lay the pavers now (I'm going with a diagonal running herringbone pattern). Once the pavers are actually in, I think you'll really be able to see the difference in the pictures. With a little cement glue, a diamond bit saw blade, and my rubber mallet, I should be done with the patio by Easter. Interestingly enough, that's (Easter) also our 3 year house anniversary. For the modern era, glass or crystal is the gift you're supposed to give on the third anniversary. You can make glass out of sand, so Happy 3rd Anniversary, house.