01 September 2010

The Family Handyman

For my birthday Michelle gave me a subscription to the "The Family Handyman". Believe it or not, the last issue I received in the mail addressed a repair project I was going to tackle in Julia's bathroom.

The linoleum was starting to peel up from the tub. This seems to be a common problem. Builders (or installers) take the linoleum all the way up to the tub and just glue it and caulk it down. Over time, water inevitably falls over the edge and causes the linoleum to peel back. Short of a major project involving new linoleum or putting in tile, the easiest/cheapest/simplest solution is to put some more caulk over the area and hope for the best. That was my initial idea.

That doesn't really sound like a long term solution nor effective. It's shocking to learn that a little bit of caulk isn't enough to hold down peeling linoleum (sarcasm added). The magazine recommended gluing a very expensive piece of corian over the area and caulking the seams. Instead, I picked up a $10 piece of nylon quarter-round at Home Depot and nailed it to the sub-floor. I caulked the seams and now have an attractive, cheap, and sealed edge that should last for a long time.