What a week. Apparently, I forgot how stressful and tiring it is to start a new job. Sprinkle in two little kids, Stacey's job, doctor's appointments for Jonathan, and a house that needs attention and you've got a recipe for no blog posts all week.
This was more difficult then future weeks will be. I found that a nine month break from work did make me a bit rusty. The first week on any job you're always overloaded with information. Jonathan still had doctor's appointments. We were trying to adjust to a new schedule that didn't involve me being at home. I can't forget to mention having to get up at 5 a.m. every day. I basically worked all day, came home and had dinner, did some other work, and went to bed this week.
I'm not going to comment in too much detail here about my first week of work. Good or bad, that's a fundamental no-no in today's world. I will pass along some of the things that are facts and that I discussed with my supervisor (i.e. this isn't an opinion). This position is going to be a challenge. Not only did I not get overlap training with my predecessor, but she didn't leave me any instructions on how to do the job. She didn't delegate, so no one else knows what or how she did. I'm going to have to learn on my own. Since this position's duties were so closely kept, I'm going to learn through a combination of hard work, inquisitiveness, and mistake making. One good example is that I don't know how to use their accounting software. She was the only one who knew how to use it. I can't really do my job until I learn how to navigate through the system, in addition to learning a new organization, supervising three, and everything else. Things are going to take awhile. The good news is that everyone knows this and is pretty understanding. Diane (my supervisor & CEO) is very understanding and after talking through some things, knows it might get worse before it gets better. I am at least going to be given the opportunity to learn in a reasonable environment.