11 May 2014

A Stroll Around the City by the Bay

Today we walked and saw a lot. The apartment that we're staying in is located in the Marina District, so it's within walking distance of many notable things in the city.  We first walked a few blocks to the water and found a bunch of people running a 5k around Marina Green.  A couple blocks over we checked out a farmer's market in the old Fort Mason Historic area, and then had lunch at In and Out Burger near Fisherman's Wharf. Along the way we met some very cute baby skunks at the park.  From that area we were able to take a few good pictures of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.

We stopped back at the apartment for a short break before heading over to The Palace of Fine Arts and the Presidio (and the National Cemetery located there). We made sure to find the site of the old Letterman Army Hospital where I was born in the Presidio.  I sent my Mom a picture of me standing in front of the building - it is Mother's Day after all.  The Army hospital and surrounding buildings had been torn down and rebuilt, but the location was the same. It's now a digital arts campus and houses Lucasfilm in one of the buildings nearby.

Thinking back over the years, this is probably the third time I've spent a day or two in this area. I obviously enjoy the area but that's because it's very pretty and there is a lot to see.