I’m officially on strike… Actually, I’ve been on strike in practice for a while but now I’m officially announcing it to the world. I have not, and am refusing to, watch Tottenham play until they win.
For those of you who haven’t heard, this year has been the worst start to a league season in Tottenham history. How long is that? Well, the club was formed in 1882…only a few years (17) after the end of the Civil War!
They are still winless and dead last in the league. Last night they lost 0-2 in their first UEFA Cup group match to Udinese (Italy). I have been following the games online and/or looking at the final score before I watch the match. I’ve recorded every game, but haven’t watched a Tottenham match for about 5 weeks now since they haven’t won. Why should I subject myself to repeated disappointment for a situation I can’t change? I don’t think it makes me less of a fan – if anything I would argue it makes me more of a fan because I can’t stand to watch it.
If they get relegated this season to a lower division, I won’t see much of their games anymore even if I wanted to. Additionally, there are no guarantees that they’ll make it back to the Premier League anytime in the near future.