05 February 2009

LifeKeys



For those of you who don't know (which is probably most of you), because I was on active duty and paid $1,200 into the program my first year as an officer, I am eligible for the G.I. Bill. Basically, I paid in $1,200 and now I am eligible for up to $48,000 for college or other training program. I just have to use it by the year 2017 (10 years after I separated).

Considering I've already been out 2 years, I've been thinking about what I want to be when I grow up. My current job has been a great blessing, and regardless if I make a career change or not, I'll continue to work at Focus into the foreseeable future. However, with this option I could go back to school, get another degree, and change careers if I wanted to.

Let's take a step back though. When I was stationed in Hawaii, a member of our small group bible study recommended the book LifeKeys when I mentioned we were considering leaving the Air Force and I didn't know what I was going to do next. In short, it's a Christian-based book that walks you through the various well known personality tests, your values, spiritual gifts, etc. It doesn't give you definitive answers on what you should do with your life, but it sure helps you understand yourself, who you are, and how you were made. Sure, it's not the end all, but for me I can really see the value in them because I agree with my results and Stacey confirms them about me as well.

Long story short, according the personality tests I'm an ISTJ and a Realistic. Anyway, last night Stacey and I were talking about how I'm good at financial stuff, but that I don't really get satisfaction out of it. If you look at the picture, finance/accounting types typically fit into the Conventional category. Since the Conventional and Realisitic types are next to each other (i.e. usually share some common traits), it pretty much explained to me why I can succeed at what I'm doing while not necessarily finding fullfillment. That is, I have the skills required (proximity of Conventional and Realistic) at what I do but I will probably find more satisfaction doing something in the Realistic category.

So, what are traits of a Realistic? What's funny is the exact things I was saying to Stacey in our conversation are listed in this section in the book. So the point of all of this is that whenever I decide to start using my G.I. Bill, I think I'm going to pick something in this category (regardless if it's just for fun or a serious degree program). I'll let you decide if this sounds like me:

The Realistic Type - "Let's Roll Up Our Sleeves and Get It Done"

"Outdoorsey", "athletic", "mechanical", "hands-on", are just a few of the words that describe the Realistic type. Few Realistics choose to spend their time at major society events - and they may also resist being behind a desk! Many appear to be "loners", preferring the company of one or two carefully chosen friends to large-group activities.

Realistic children typically can be found building superhighways in the sandbox, climbing trees, or maybe training a dog or two. One boy was fascinated by anything on wheels from the age of three. His parents let him celebrate on birthday with a visit to a truck dealership. He eventually joined the Army Reserve, where he could drive jeeps and equipment vans every other weekend.

School can be frustrating for Realistics if practical applications of what they are learning aren't clear. They prefer hands-on experiments, concrete problems to solve, and mybe a double dose of physical or industrial arts. Without these elements, or a teacher who can help them understand future uses of what they're learning, they may long to be elsewhere - especially outside.

These interests lead Realistics to choose careers in agriculture, engineering, construction, for example - careers that let them use their large and fine motor skills to produce tangible results, that allow for pragmatic approaches to problems, and where the work is focused on things rather than on people, ideas, or data. They often seek to provide safety and order, as in military and police-work.

In their spare time, Realistics like to enjoy the out-of-doors, even if they spend that time just attending to home maintenance tasks. Many own recreational vehicles, sporting goods, and whatever tools they might need to get the job done. Typical life gifts include mechanical aptitude, operating heavy equipment/driving/piloting, manual dexterity, building mechanical/structural devices, physical coordination, organizing supplues or implements, taking physical risks, emotional stability and reliability.

According to wikipedia, a Realistic can typically be found in the following careers that I've at one time been a part of or thought about doing:

- Architect
- Athlete
- Engineer
- Firefighter
- Information Techonology
- Mechanic/Automobiles
- Physical therapy
- Pilot
- Veterinarian

It's really funny how I've been around or thought of a lot of these careers. The reason why I currently am in Finance is because that's what my degree is an and what the Air Force put me in after I decided I didn't want to be a pilot in the Air Force (lifestyle, time commitment, etc). Maybe I should use my G.I. Bill to finish my private pilot's license...or something similar...hmm.