19 February 2009

Shakhtar 2 - 0 Tottenham

Not much I can say about this game... Obviously, it wasn't a priority in the grand scheme of things this year as evidenced by the fact that Spurs left 14 of their regulars back in England while the youngsters traveled to the Ukraine. For 3/4 of the game Harry's gamble looked like it was going to pay off until the trifecta of a needless foul, lack of marking, and a goalkeeping error led to Shakhtar's first goal.

When I saw who was playing for Spurs tonight and in what positions before the game started, I actually predicted the final scoreline. We had a RB playing as a LB, a midfielder as a CB, a 17 year old making his first start, and the rest of team comprised of all other players that ride the bench at Spurs except for Michael Dawson. Of course, this was all preceded by Harry stating publicly that this match wasn't a priority for us especially considering that we have 6 games to play in the next 17 days.

In the end, I'm glad that Matt got to see Shakhtar win this game since he had to travel a few days on a train to make it there. I'll probably just follow the second leg live online next week since overcoming this scoreline will be very difficult and even less of a priority considering we will be playing United 3 days later in the Carling Cup final.

I hope that another loss won't add to the already losing mentality at the club. On Monday we have a big league game against Hull. Our next 3 league games are against Hull, Boro, and Sunderland. This is clearly the easiest run of games we have left, so it will be very important that we get the maximum points possible from them.