14 February 2010

Grocery Store Checkout

We've officially entered the "embarrass us in public" phase with Julia. She's starting to verbalize things about other people when we're out in public. Although nothing happened today, we've been warned.

I was behind a mother and her infant in the checkout line today. Yes, Valentine's Day. The infant was probably about 6-9 months old and her mother was holding her in her arms. Julia looked the baby up and down for a few seconds and then asked everybody where the infant's shoes were. Like most kids that age that can't walk yet, their parents didn't bother with shoes. I smiled at Julia, as did other people. A couple more seconds passed and then Julia asked, "Where's baby's Dadda?".

Apparently Julia forgot that it was Valentine's Day. Luckily, Julia didn't ask very loud and I don't think anyone heard or understood her. I played it cool and pretended like I didn't hear her ask. A couple of seconds after the question I was able to make out a wedding ring still on the hand of the mother. So, unless she was a widow or her husband is deployed, I think we're OK. That could have been really bad. I can't wait to see what she says next - probably something about body parts and/or funny smells. We've been warned!