16 February 2010

I'm Not Lost

One of the great things about watching the show Lost is that we get to see our old stomping grounds. Apparently, “Los Angeles” in the show looks a lot like Honolulu and its surrounding neighborhoods. OK, it’s not exactly a secret that the show is filmed on Oahu.

Over the past 5 seasons we’ve seen many familiar scenes of Oahu during the show. A couple of weeks ago the international terminal at “LAX” looked exactly like the international terminal at Honolulu’s airport (oddly enough). I would know, since I flew to Tokyo 3 times from Honolulu while we lived there. I have long suspected that previous neighborhood scenes in the show were filmed in our old neighborhood but I couldn’t prove it. That is, until tonight!

In the opening scene of this week’s episode, “The Substitute”, I finally saw our neighborhood. It’s hard to miss since it's the only development on the island that consists entirely of pink Bermuda style houses. I hope this doesn’t ruin it for you, but John Locke’s house in “Los Angeles” is really 94-1814 Alelo Street, Waipahu, HI 96797. For those people who thought otherwise, now would also be a good time to tell you that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren’t real either.

It was a lot of fun to see the old street that I used to walk and jog on and also to see the housing development where we lived. I took screen shots from the beginning of the episode (online) and have compared them with the same shots from Google Maps Street View. Pretty sweet.


Opening Scene

Our neighborhood in the background

John Locke's van and house in "LA"

94-1814 Alelo Street

John Locke getting out of his van in the driveway

The same garage and driveway

John Locke falling out of his wheelchair

The real residents on the porch discussing last night's episode