26 April 2010

32nd Birthday

Hmm....well, today I'm 32 years old. For most people their 32nd birthday isn't an interesting one. Mine kind of was in a weird sort of way.

First, I woke up this morning to snow on the ground. Seriously, it's almost May and it's still snowing. I don't commit everything in my life to memory, but I can't remember the last time it actually snowed on my birthday. I guarantee that it didn't happen in Washington, California or Hawaii, so if it has happened in the past it was at least 10 years ago. Maybe my parents can remember a year growing up when it snowed on my birthday. Of course, being Colorado, the snow had melted by lunchtime.

Second, I got two jib jab e-cards both from my immediate family. Not only had I never heard of nor received a jib jab e-card before today, but I got two in the same day from Michelle and my parents. All I can say is that both were funny and yet a bit disturbing...one involved talking/suicidal eggs that ended up in my birthday cake, and the other, my dad and my mom's head on top of disco dancing bodies. I suggest you check out their line of e-cards - much better then Hallmark! I also received a call from Stacey's Dad, which was a nice touch.

Third, Stacey made dinner tonight and decorated but it ended abruptly with an hour-long session of "poop on the potty". I ate the rest of my chicken standing up outside the kid bathroom upstairs. Julia is still struggling to go numero dos in the potty even thought numero uno is a breeze. So, since she's now wearing underwear she'll just hold it until it's visibly painful to everyone. At dinner she let out another little cry and squirm. So, between our birthday dinner and birthday dessert/card opening (Stacey and Julia both made me a card), we coached, instructed, and made Julia sit on the potty until she finally went. It took an hour, but afterward the party continued. This may sound mean, but when it's completely obvious to everyone that she really has to go and is in pain from holding it (but will go in about 2 minutes as soon as we put on a diaper), this was a battle worth fighting. The timing was just bad. My hope is that after a few times of doing this she'll get over whatever is causing her to hold it (fear, familiarity, comfort, etc) and it won't be a big deal. It's just something we need to get past.

So, in addition to work I can say that this was a pretty routine yet still interesting day. Despite everything it made me thankful for a roof over my head, a good job, and a loving family.